Re: Vision of Technology

Tony Peressini (peressin@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu)
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 08:25:28 -0600

At 5:38 PM 3/30/97, Mavis Green wrote:

Mavis,
The needs that you state below are very important:

        "To avoid disappointment efforts to introduce technology into
>the classroom, must ensure that teachers are given the training,
>technical support, and time needed to integrate networking into the
>curriculum. Further, many people are not as naturally enthusiastic about
>computers and networking as the experts are; So user-friendly
>applications and advice that meet the needs of those less comfortable
>with technology will help to spread the use of networking through
>schools."

Our NIE project Math Teacher Link at  http://www-cm.math.uiuc.edu/MathLink/
is doing just that for math teachers at the 9-14 grade levels, and there
are other fine websites that are doing the same thing.  It will take some
time to get the job done because we all still have a lot to learn about
effective distance delivery of instruction and information. However, we are
learning, and new developments in "distance education workplaces" are
beginning to blur the differences between remote and on-site instruction
and networking.
I am optimistic!

tony Peressini

>Mavis Green
>Houston ISD

Tony Peressini                          Phone: (217) 333-6336 (Office)
Department of Mathematics                       (217) 352-1687 (Home)

273 Altgeld Hall                        Fax:    (217) 333-9576
University of Illinois
1409 West Green St.
Urbana, IL 61801