Re: Vision of Technology

Tony Peressini (peressin@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu)
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 09:05:04 -0600

At 12:08 PM 4/1/97, Sarah Seastone wrote:
>Hi Tony -
>
>Suzanne sent me a copy of her note to you and I thought I'd send my $.02
>also.  We've been excited here at the Math Forum seeing your pages but my
>computer (Centris 610, 33.6 modem, Netscape 3.01 assigned 14MB of RAM, no
>trouble generally with java, 20MB installed RAM + RAMDoubler = 40MB) also
>bombs regularly at your home page and on your formula enhanced page.  Four
>quick freezes and crashes discouraged me from further exploration, though I
>was able to add some of your materials to our database.
>
>I work for Gene Klotz and Steve Weimar as Editor/Archivist/Web Page
>Designer at the Math Forum - you will probably see them in Pittsburgh,
>along with Suzanne, if you are there.
>
>Cheers -  Sarah

Sarah,
I am a great admirer of Math Forum. You are doing a great job with that site!
I am very puzzeled about the access problems that you and Suzanne are
having, and I will ask our tech people to look into it immediately. Thanks
for the tip.
I am really looking forward to meeting you, Gene and Steve in Pittsburgh!
Tony Peressini

>>Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 08:17:41 -0800
>>To: content@info-ren.pitt.edu
>>From: Suzanne Alejandre <salejan@e2.empirenet.com>
>>Subject: Re: Vision of Technology
>>
>>Good morning, Tony,
>>
>>>Our NIE project Math Teacher Link at  http://www-cm.math.uiuc.edu/MathLink/
>>>is doing just that for math teachers at the 9-14 grade levels, and there
>>>are other fine websites that are doing the same thing.  It will take some
>>>time to get the job done because we all still have a lot to learn about
>>>effective distance delivery of instruction and information. However, we are
>>>learning, and new developments in "distance education workplaces" are
>>>beginning to blur the differences between remote and on-site instruction
>>>and networking.
>>
>>I went to look at your Math Teacher Link site and even though I am working
>>on  PowerPC 7600/132 with 48MB of RAM I find that my computer *bombs* when
>>I go into your pages. It wasn't just one random time, either. I was rather
>>persistent and it did it several times.
>>
>>This is not something that happens with other sites. I have been roaming
>>around a lot this week. (I am on Spring Break!) I have been going into
>>pages with java applets and animated gifs and all kinds of things which
>>you would think might crash a system and I have been having no other problems.
>>
>>Has anyone else ever told you of such problems with your site? I really
>>wanted to look around....but....I don't like bombs.  :(
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>Suzanne Alejandre
>>

>Sarah Seastone
>Editor/Archivist, The Math Forum
>http://forum.swarthmore.edu/
>http://forum.swarthmore.edu/~sarah/
>sarah@forum.swarthmore.edu

Tony Peressini                          Phone: (217) 333-6336 (Office)
Department of Mathematics                       (217) 352-1687 (Home)

273 Altgeld Hall                        Fax:    (217) 333-9576
University of Illinois
1409 West Green St.
Urbana, IL 61801