Re: What is your project experience?

Larry Tague (ltague@physio1.utmem.edu)
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 07:03:42 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Bob Carlitz wrote:

> In a previous message I outlined several questions in the areas of
> Internet Service and Metropolitan Area connectivity.  Maybe it would
> be better if we get into specifics with which we are familiar.  To
> that end, can you describe the experience of your projects in these
> areas?
>
> Here are some things we've found in the course of Common Knowledge:
> Pittsburgh (CK:).  Your experience may or may not be parallel.
>
> 1) The Internet Service Provider piece is straightforward if you
> have a regional network with experience in dealing with educational
> groups.  Although CK:P routes traffic through the Pittsburgh
> Supercomputing Center at present, the transition to direct PREPnet
> connectivity (PREPnet is our regional network) should be a smooth
> one.

At present MECCA (Memphis Educational Computer Connectivity Alliance) is
providing for its own Internet access, and we are in essence an ISP for
our various projects.

> 2) Neither the telephone company nor the cable company is likely
> to offer to sell the most economical services available for school
> conectivity.  Here are some examples and some comments:

Yes you are right they all seem to be in business to make money, and have
little sympathy for the struggling educational system. We have a small
minority college not far from Memphis who really needs to be a part of the
educational mainstream in this community. However, there is no ISDN
service in that area, and the only current option is Frame Relay, but the
phone company (only provider in that area) wants to break their financial
back... ~$2,000 for installation and over $2,000 per month for service.
This does not count the expense at our end. More about this later.

> plant.  Needless to say, these rules are tied up in a court challenge
> launched by the local phone companies.  Supposedly this was part of

Yes and the telephone/cable companies, relative to what is taking place at
the FCC, would like to nickle and dime us to death by charging for every
byte (bit) of data that flows between our machines.

> 	b) We use ISDN technology to link many school sites.  But
> we set up the links in Speech Bearer Mode (ISDN Voice calls).  This
> setup eliminates the time charges associated with ISDN Data calls.
> If we had to pay these time charges, the ISDN technology would no
> longer be appropriate for full-time LAN connectivity.

At present ISDN is reasonable in Memphis, and we are hoping that local
competition will help keep the rates down. For educational networking they
are not charging us time rates, but rather flat rates (reasonable). We are
also using ISDN for school and project connections in Memphis. However, I
am holding my breath concerning the rates. What really cost is the primary
service at the MECCA end.. >$1,000/mo. I would like to know if anyone has
a handle on much realistic service they can manage over one primary rate
using roll over shared lines.

> 	c) We undertook a trial of cable modem technology with the
> local cable company (TCI).  It is clear that TCI has no interest in
> offering this as a comercial service on their present coaxial
> cable system, and I doubt it's technically feasible.  The only
> place where cable modems can work on older coaxial systems appears
> to be on INETs (Institutional Networks), where the total numbers
> of connected sites is no more than 100 or so.  Please correct me
> if I'm too pessimistic on this point, as it is a crucial one with
> regard to currents discussions of Universal Service under the
> Telecommunications Act.

There is some good technology that can run on twisted pair for short haul
jobs, or if the telephone companies would agree to handle the switches for
this technology, long hauls would be possible at resonable rates.

> 	d) In the absence of meaningful competition for provision
> of the local loop it would appear that wireless options will be
> of increasing importance, even in urban areas where there is
> extensive wired infrastructure.  How many districts are using
> this technology today?

YES!YES!.. I mentioned above the connectivity problem with the small
minority college.  Well, this is what we are currently in the process of
investigating for a solution. I had a very long converstation with Dave
Hughes in Colo. about the technology in general and the various projects
that he has been using for testing. This is exciting and potentially a way
in may cases to reduce our "nickle and dime" environment to a one time
charge situation. Using Aydne spread sprectrum radios, I can install T1
connectivity for $12K/end (roughly). The solution that Dave Hughes suggest
is much lower than T1 rates but in the range of ISDN (which we are
currently using in many appliation), and at a much lower cost.

> 3) How are school districts dealing with implications of the
> Telecommunications Act of 1996?  That Act provides for Universal
> Service subsidies, currently pegged at over 2 billion dollars
> a year.  These subsidies should kick in next fall on a first come,
> first served basis.  Who is ready for this?  It's worth noting
> that these subsidies are larger in total dollars than ANY
> existing federal education program. This isn't a minor perturbation
> on the system;  it's a mechanism for building things from the
> ground up, but only if school districts know what to do with it.
> Do they?

This sounds great, but I am skeptical.. It gives us a lot of upfront
connectivity, but what happens down the road? How long will this
"Universal Service Fund" hold up?

I think we need to more seriously investigate the use of wireless. It was
reported to the advisory council of the Memphis Urban Systemic Iniative (I
am a member of this group) that the cost of bring cable to the door of our
161 schools would be in excess of $30 million... NO infrastructure.. just
to the front door. Wireless using a combination of spread sprectum and
microwave can do this for under $1 million, and it is a one time charge
not counting minimal regular upkeep. What am I missing here? Is there
something that I do not see?

> Apologies is this message is a bit too long and a bit too loaded
> with jargon.  Please describe the experiences you have had with
> this piece of the network's technology, using whatever language
> has been used in the conduct of your project.

In defense of Bob, and myself in the future, lets not worry too much about
the length of the discussions.. we can take the time later for full
digestion if needed.

Cheers!

Larry

Larry Tague
Co-Director of MECCA*
Research Associate                      Dept. of Physiology & Biophysics
Phone Bus.: 901-448-7152                U.T. Memphis
Phone FAX:  901-448-7126                894 Union Ave.
e-mail:ltague@physio1.utmem.edu or      Memphis, TN 38163
       ltague@mecca.mecca.org
*MECCA (Memphis Educational Computer Connectivity Alliance)