Re: Welcome to Sustainability & Insitutionalization

Ellen Miyasato (ellenm@kalama.doe.hawaii.edu)
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 17:06:41 -1000

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Michael Williamson wrote:

> What strategies have worked moving aministrators down the technology path
> to generate support for programs generated by faculty?

	Our perception (correct me, David and any HERN people) has been
that the administrators have been most supportive of programs generated by
faculty.  What the challenge has been is the support has been based on the
"concept of the role of tech" of the interested groups and their programs
and not based on collective "vision" of what institutional transformations
(shaping the agenda that tackles tough issues of teaching and learning)
are possible.
	One strategy we have applied is that each project team -
submitting project proposals are encouraged to include an administrator as
a team member.

What are your thoughts? What are the critical leverages that will generate
administrative support / program development that's sustainable?