Re: Technology and Teacher Change

Gwen Solomon (gwen@gsn.org)
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 10:56:54 -0800

Steve's findings provide real meaning for all of us engaged in this work.
I'd like to take one of the statements and stress how key it is. Steve
says, " teachers need resources and concrete examples of new pedagogy in
action..."

Look at what the Franklin Institute provides in the way of content-based
models for student learning and at other examples like the Exploratorium as
well as the primary sources now available at the Library of Congress. There
you have meaningful uses of technology for educators. Too often we
trivialize the power of this medium with poor

At 08:55 AM 3/25/97 -0500, baumann@fi.edu wrote:
>What is the significance of network technology in supporting teachers as
>they think about changing the way they teach? This simple question has been
>at the heart of the development of professional development activities in
>the Science Learning Network project. What are some lessons we have learned?
>
>* establishment of a local area network in a whole school building where
>asynchronous electronic messages become part of daily school culture helps
>to establish an environment conducive to teacher change
>* the presence of electronic communication expands exponentially the
>opportunities for colleagues in a building to share their thoughts about
>pedagogy, discipline, and tupperware
>* teachers need resources and concrete examples of new pedagogy in action--
>connection to wide area networks brings these resources and images to their
>desktop
>* mediators and intermediaries (science centers) play a crucial role in
>supporting teacher change and development through ongoing online nudging
>* online documentation (web publishing, archived e-mail, message boards,
>electronic portfolios),  while originally envisioned as being useful to
>provide images of teacher change to an outside audience, is much more
>powerful at helping the documentor(???) reflect and crystallize in her own
>mind the changes that are taking place
>* all professional development is local (kudos to Gwen for her comments) and
>emanates from the pedagogical and organizational context that is unique at
>every school.... and of course every classroom
>* new leaders who moved faster in the integration of technology as support
>to new pedagogy are providing the authentic professional development
>activities everyday in their school as models and points of first contact
>for other teachers
>
>Teachers continue to inform us regularly about their needs and frustrations.
>These conversations become the basis for our joint professional development
>activities.
>
>Steve Baumann
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Stephen H. Baumann (baumann@fi.edu) Director of Educational
>The Franklin Institute Science Museum   Technology Programs
>222 N. 20th St.                            (tel) 215-448-1206
>Philadelphia, PA 19103                     (fax) 215-448-1274

Gwen Solomon, Director
The Well Connected Educator
837 E. Palm Drive
Glendora, CA 91741