Re: Content, The Net, Curiosity

Barry L. Chad (chadb@clpgh.org)
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 11:21:43 EST

From:	MX%"content@info-ren.pitt.edu" 27-MAR-1997 00:07:14.18
To:	MX%"content@info-ren.pitt.edu"
CC:
Subj:	Re: Content, The Net, Curiosity

From: Suzanne Alejandre <salejan@e2.empirenet.com>

Dear Barry,

>The most valuable commodity on the internet is content.
>It's lack is apparent to everyone that surfs.
>The abundance of glitz and graphics that disguise
>lack of content is the discouragement of the Net.

I agree! One idea that I learned from my teachers at
the Math Forum was to be considerate of all levels of
access.....taking care not to get too glitzy or too
heavy on graphics!

>I am convinced that the Web affords the opportunity
>to present content (at all educational levels) and
>that hypertext (and very likely even animated gifs,
>server push, client pull and ostensibly goofy programs)
>have the ability to invoke the viewer's curiosity to
>keep on going further--to pursue an idea or a concept
>or subject through all kinds of twists and turns.

I often wonder if we are becoming frenetic in how we look
at information. Actually I thought of it this morning as
I was reading the newspaper. I found myself jumping from
topic to topic much faster than is my normal style.

Is this a way to gain more information? or filter
information? so that we can spend time on what is important?
or are we just going to become superficial information
gatherers?

***"Frenetic" is a good way to put it.
   On the one hand, the technology changes are frenetic and it is
   very time consuming to keep up with them.  That's why I learned
   it's good to have a community of people who can tell you what's
   happening with the technolgoy.
   On the other hand, what you describe as "frenetic" in your reading
   is actually an information gathering strategy.
   Living here in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh, I have, besides
   the tv, radio, press and the Web, access to at 3 enormous library systems.
   Not to mention the input of my colleagues.
   This is an information-rich environment.
   Though not an educator, I suspect such a climate could constructively be
   established in a school/classroom community.

Suzanne Alejandre