Re: Greeting for online discussion groups (fwd)

Larry Tague (ltague@physio1.utmem.edu)
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:51:28 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Nora H. Sabelli wrote:

> The conference "Balancing Research and Practice" comes at a crucial time,
> when the lessons learned from the NIE program must inform its follow-up
> activity (TIE, or technology integration in education).  As we proceed,

Teaching the use of network utilities as they relate to educational
facilitation is what most of us have been learning in much of our NIE
work. However, the general lack of written contributions to these
discussions relative the number of folks signed up makes me wonder.

I have heard colleagues in the past make critical remarks about the
direction or content of certain RFPs. I veiw these proceedings as a chance
to be heard, and contribute to the important process of setting direction
for what we will be responding to in the near future. Remember, what we
will say during the on-site conference in Pitturgh will be important.
However, what we are saying during these online discussions is being
archived, and therefore can be reviewed and referenced when needed by NSF
as well as ourselves.

> the lessons learned by the NIE PI community on research and practice provide
> a wealth of information on which to build. NIE projects have made substantial
> strides towards reforming the daily practice of classrooms and
> school districts. It is important that lessons be analyzed and synthesized
> for the next step to be as informed and productive as possible. We must
> build on ongoing achievements, and engage in "action research" as a

Wow! "Community "action research"".. A very good process description Nora.
It is necessary for us to move ourselves from the "data collection" mode
(I suspect this is what the discussion group "lurkers" are doing), and
engage in "active" data generation based on our experiences.

I hope everyone is enjoying the discussions and learning as much as
possible.

Larry

Larry Tague
Co-Director of MECCA*
Research Associate			Dept. of Physiology & Biophysics
Phone Bus.: 901-448-7152		U.T. Memphis
Phone FAX:  901-448-7126		894 Union Ave.
e-mail:ltague@physio1.utmem.edu or	Memphis, TN 38163
       ltague@mecca.mecca.org
*MECCA (Memphis Educational Computer Connectivity Alliance)