RE: Agricultural information

Thanks, Fred Stoss, for posting the National Agricultural Library's URL (Web address).

Yesterday in another thread, Kevin Laughlin stated that ''librarians are effective when they know their local community; they often can pull toghter "issue" collections when they are appraised of a specific need in their community. [These can include] issue collections surrounding hot topics...''

Well said, Kevin! The Water Quality Information Center <http://www.nal.usda.gov/wqic/ coordinator, my supervisor, is an example of a scientist who knows his community. He has striven, with the help of librarians on staff, to develop useful resources and make them available through the Web.

As a newly-hired librarian at the WQIC, I have been pleasantly surprised by the wealth of 'content' our information center provides and its policy to continue this work.

To librarians, I would advocate collaborating with others to provide useful resources to your user base. To others, I would invite them to approach librarians as colleagues.